Here's the salad we made in yesterday's UM cooking class. I like to eat salad wrapped in chapati - an Indian flat bread - its pretty much the same thing as eating a salad wrap, except homemade Indian flat bread has non of the long list of additives found in store bought tortillas.
Serves approx 12- 15 people. Preparation time: 10 - 15 mins
- 1 head iceberg lettuce washed & chopped small (use mixed salad greens instead if you can - as popular as it is, iceberg has pretty much 0 % nutritional content)
- 1 small pkt alfalfa sprouts rinsed off in cold water
- 1 small pkt cherry tomato's rinsed off
- 2 large avocado's removed from peel & cubed medium size
- 2 handfuls green olives pitted & stuffed with red paprika pieces (you can buy them by the jar in a health or gourmet store), I usually rinse them to remove excess salt
- Extra virgin cold pressed Olive oil
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- a pinch asafoetida
- Combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and asafoetida in large salad bowl and whisk briefly.
- Add in all other salad ingredients and mix evenly
- Its best to prepare salad just before the meal so it remains fresh and at its best. If you don't serve it right away keep the avocado stone & put into salad bowl . . . by natures magic it prevents the avocado from becoming blackened. Its an old trick that really works!