Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Banana Buckwheat Bread Pudding

OMG!! I made bread pudding for the first time today and it came out awesome!

I had seen someone make it before on a cooking show a few months ago, but they used eggs and white bread, so though it gave me an idea of how to make it, the recipe was no good for me.  I never use eggs, and I avoid using white flour or sugar as much as possible. So this was a total experiment with a happy ending! :-)

I used a sweet spice buckwheat bread which I'd made for Ekadashi yesterday, (for recipe see end of this post). I found it a little too dry to eat today and to avoid waste I decided to try out this idea. I'm sure it would work with any bread, though the sweet spices really gave it a delightful flavor.

Im sure this recipe could be made for Ekadashi day's too - just use a substitute for the cornstarch.


You will need:
3 mini loaves of sweet spice buckwheat bread (or bread of your choice), cut into medium thick slices. Arrange in a small glass baking dish.

 Blend til smooth:
2 cups organic whole milk
1 banana
2 TBSP vanilla essence
Approx 1/2 cup maple syrup
1 heaped TBSP non-GMO cornstarch

Pour this mixture over the bread.

Sprinkle on top:
2 big TBSP butter cut into pieces
3- 4 TBSP walnut or pecan pieces
2 TBSP cranberries (optional but it helps absorb the liquid too)
Approx 3 TBSP brown cane sugar

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 370 Fahrenheit or so for approx 40 mins or til liquid is absorbed and top is nicely browned and somewhat caramelized.

Great served hot - would make a fancy breakfast or brunch dish.

If you want to try making it with buckwheat bread like me, then here's how I made the bread:
Ingredients:
Approx 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
Approx 1 cup tapioca flour
Approx 2 tsp baking soda
Approx 2 TBSP cinnamon powder
Approx 1 tsp cardamom powder
1 cup orange flavored cranberries (Trader Joe's)

Mix all together evenly and set aside.


Blend til smooth:
1 ripe banana
2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup sunflower oil
Approx 1/2 cup maple syrup

When mixing into dry ingredients, add:
Fresh whey as needed

Pour the liquid mixture into the bowl with dry ingredients and mix evenly, adding sufficient fresh whey to make a medium runny dough. Fill into oiled mini loaf tins, and bake for approx 30 mins or til lightly browned on top and it springs back up when you make an indent by pressing your finger lightly into it. Allow to cool. Serve at room temperature with butter or reserve for the former recipe.









No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis